Tuesday, August 5, 2014

When the day isn't pretty...

I hate when people complain online.

On the other hand, blogs that only post the happy / inspiring / uplifting / picture perfect stuff drives me nuts.

I prefer the "eclectic blogger". And, my favorite is when they help me realize I'm normal.

Today, my sweet boy karate chopped my recovering surgery thumb while I was trying to help him put on his shoe after swim lessons. Apparently, he didn't like that while putting on said shoe I joked "Here you go Cinderella ~ let me put on your pretty slipper"... He thought it was funny for a nano-second and then he decided he didn't like it. His dad told him that it was never ok to hit me. But later, after the kids were in bed, his dad also told me not to tease our son.

Point taken.

I feel a little bad my boy thought I was teasing him. But, in my defense, I may or may not find myself wanting to resort to the behavior of a 3 year old these days. My kids are sick of each other, sick of the house, and sick of the same old same old. And, their preferred mode of communicating these feelings is to pick a fight with each other over anything and everything. It's making me bat-you know what-crazy. Cray-Cray. Totes cray-cray. I won't bore you with the details. They are really irrelevant anyway. Whatever one says, the other says the opposite. They each know the right buttons to push and they do ~ All. Day. Long.

I am an only child so this dynamic is new to me. Trust me, my family is it's own brand of crazy but my stuffed animals never did things on purpose just to torture me. All those years I wished I had a brother or sister? Yeah, I didn't miss being annoyed.

I wish I had some big revelation or take away ~ but some days all you can do is just survive. I'm happy to report that by the time everyone went to bed, apologies were made, forgiveness was given, hugs and love prevailed and everyone under the age of 10 looks adorable to me again.

Tomorrow, we try again.

May the force be with us all.


"The faithful love of the Lord never ends. His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning."
Lamentations 3:22-23


2 comments:

  1. You're a good mom. I'd say that this, too, shall pass, but that would be a big lie. This kind of stuff is what helps them as adults to allow stuff to just roll off their backs. My grandpa used to tease the bajeeeezus out of me. It hurt a LOT then, and probably was not right for him to do, but I will tell you that now, there's not too much that bothers me. Sticks and stones...your kids love each other and when they're adults and away from you, they'll stick together. I see it with my own two. Even still, I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowza on your thumb! You are right...today is a new day :)

    ReplyDelete